Thursday, March 29, 2012

Yes I Did It!

I read the Hunger Games.

Book One anyway. I bought them on Tuesday and I'm already half way through book two.

How might I do that you ask?

Read while I'm rocking the baby. Read while Hubby is watching TV after work. Read while Baby Skypes with Grandma.

I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN.

I knew what was going to happen. But I had to find out how. And when. And what would happen after.

And yet I still have so many questions! I'm hoping this second book answers them. 

But I guess that's why they're such good books. They leave questions to be answered by the next one.

If you've been living under a rock for the last few months I'll give you a brief synapse.

              It's a story about a teenage girl who gets chosen to be thrown
              into an arena, gladiator style, and fight to the death in a post-apolypse period.

Yep. That's it. Doesn't sound so hard to put down does it?

But it is. 


The unexpected is somehow still expected and catches you off guard. The relationships developed in the arena, the strategies used, the whole idea of it.

The whole idea of sticking 24 kids, ages 12-18, into an arena to die and have people not only watch but enjoy, is revolting.

At first I couldn't get past this idea. Why would I or why am I so engrossed in a story so gruesome. The reality of it happening in slim, at least in my life time, but not all together impossible. So why would I want to read about something that (I pray that it doesn't) could happen to my grandchildren or great grandchild at some point? (As a Christian I doubt not much will be going on here on Earth post the return of Christ as it occurs in the book, but it could happen without a disaster of some sort).

But it just does suck you in. The will to live, the will to survive, the will to return home to a family.

Although the whole thing is quite terrible (killing others so you can live) there are numerous underpinnings woven throughout the book that could take on a Christian point a view. I have no idea if the author is a Christian woman but if you really take the time to view from the outside rather than so into what's going on for real, you can see how it can relate to a Christian's walk with Christ. So Christian parents listen up:: Don't write this off as a bad book or movie for your teens. It actually could be a gateway to a wonderful conversation if you read it together and  talk about it. Then go see the movie. I have yet to see it but I hear it's good. I don't recommend this for younger children though. I think they're to young to be able to view it as fantasy and understand what you're trying to say about pleasing God through the terror of killing another human being.

Here's a link to a review (of the movie) by a website geared towards Christian teenagers and their parents:
          The Hunger Games

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you wholeheartedly: "but if you really take the time to view from the outside rather than so into what's going on for real, you can see how it can relate to a Christian's walk with Christ." Way to be a brave parent, and one who I think is reflecting Jesus. And how fun to meet another mom who loves to read too! :)

    ReplyDelete